The Pawsey Supercomputing Centre
- This event has passed.
NeCTAR Research Cloud Training @ The University of Western Australia
February 22, 2016 @ 9:00 am - February 23, 2016 @ 4:30 pm
Pawsey Supercomputing Centre is pleased to invite you to the NeCTAR Research Cloud training – Introductory Workshop.
This is a two day training workshop will provide attendees with an introduction to the FREE Cloud resources available from the Pawsey Supercomputing Centre. At the end of the workshop attendees should feel confident in applying for larger allocations and with applying this exciting new technology to their research.
Presented by Chris Bording from the Pawsey Supercomputing Centre, the workshop will aim to provide an introduction to the NeCTAR Research Cloud.
The course will cover
NeCTAR workshop training
- Introduction, outcomes and motivation for using NeCTAR
- Setting up your local resource for accessing the cloud
- Accessing the NeCTAR dashboard
- Applying for NeCTAR allocations.
- Obtaining Keys and setting Security Groups
- Creating and Launching an Instance
- Moving your data to the NeCTAR research cloud
- Managing data storage and file systems.
- Installing applications
- Creating Snapshots.
Introduction to the Unix shell
- The basics of the Unix shell.
- Creating and Editing files.
- BASH shell scripting
Intro to using Git
- Setting up a local git repository.
- Adding/committing files and directories in git.
- Interacting with Github, creating forks, merging and tracking changes.
Installing applications and managing dependencies
- How setup your environment in cloud!
- Searching and installing packages with yum/apt-get.
- Advanced package managment with MAALI.
Creating basic pipelines and Advanced job scripting
- Moving data around in the cloud.
- Basic scripting to run serial jobs.
- Basic scripting to run threaded/parallel jobs.
This workshop is free of charge, however prior registration by 19 Feb 2016 is essential as space is limited. Please note that participants will need to bring their own UWA or personal laptop to this training workshop. Morning and afternoon tea will be provided.
Spice Room (Yellow), Physics Building, Centre for Learning Technology
35 Crawley, WA 6009 Australia