Calls are now open for supercomputing time on Magnus at the Pawsey Supercomputing Centre in 2016. If you are interested in using supercomputing resources for your research between January and December in 2016, please consider applying.
The 2016 Merit Allocation calls are for the following schemes:
- National Computational Merit Allocation Scheme (NCMAS) – This scheme supports computational research in all science disciplines across Australia. There are 100 million core hours available on Magnus for this call. NCMAS also provides access to NCI, MASSIVE and VLSCI resources. Open 14/9-16/10/15. Download brochure with detailed information here
- Energy and Resources Merit Allocation Scheme – supports Energy and Resources-focused research projects from across Australia. Energy examples include generation, storage and distribution. Resources examples include exploration, minerals extraction and processing, groundwater, and waste management. There are 38 million core hours available in this call. Open 14/9-23/10/15. Download brochure with detailed information here
- Pawsey Partner Merit Allocation Scheme – supports the whole range of computational research in Pawsey Partner institutions. Partner institutions are CSIRO, Curtin University, Edith Cowan University, Murdoch University and The University of Western Australia. There are 57.5 million core hours available in this call. Open 14/9-23/10/15. Download brochure with detailed information here
Pawsey’s petascale supercomputer, Magnus, is available for allocations through the current call. Magnus supports capability-scale computational-research. It is a Cray XC40 system, with 1,488 compute nodes (35,712 cores) using the latest generation of Intel Xeon ‘Haswell’ CPUs, linked by the Cray Aries interconnect. Further details of the Pawsey supercomputers are available on the Pawsey Portal at:
As a guide, we anticipate requests to be in the order of 1-10 million core hours, although smaller (and larger) requests will be considered. Applicants should confirm their software can run effectively on Magnus, and provide detailed justification/benchmarks of how they have estimated their compute-time requirements.
We encourage experienced research groups from the Pawsey partners to apply for the NCMAS and the Energy and Resources Schemes to maximise their opportunities. If unsuccessful or partially successful for Pawsey resources their applications will be re-evaluated in the Pawsey Partner scheme.
Pawsey is offering a technical pre-submission check for proposals. Upon request, Pawsey supercomputing staff will check an application, highlighting any potential omissions or errors they identify, plus suggesting changes that may improve the technical assessment for the proposal. Project leaders should email a request to email@example.com in advance of 2nd October.
In addition, the Pawsey Partner and Energy and Resources Schemes will have a mid-year call for allocations to run from July 2016 – June 2017. These calls will take place in quarter 2 of 2016. More detailed information about these Merit Allocation Schemes is available on the Pawsey User Portal at http://portal.pawsey.org.au/docs/Supercomputers/Supercomputing_Access.
For assistance with your application or for any other enquiries, please contact the Pawsey Helpdesk at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Important Notes for Applicants:
- To access Magnus to inform proposal preparation, submit a request to email@example.com before the 28th September.
- Use of Pawsey infrastructure is conditional on complying with relevant laws and export controls, including: